March 13, 2009

Spotless





Spring has arrived in my backyard in the form of budding leaves, blooming daffodils, and these little red insects. At this time every year, ladybugs begin appearing throughout the vegetable garden, their predatory feeding habits sweeping it clean of pesky aphids. Oh how I wish my camera had more powerful macro functions.


I played around with Picnik, my favorite [free] online photo editing application, and made my mediocre photos look somewhat acceptable. Picnik offers a wide array of functions, ranging from the basics (auto-fix, crop, sharpen, etc.) to fancier options (heat map, night vision, vignette, neon, etc.) to text/frame/sticker add-ons. Picnik's digital cross processing (used in photos 1 and 3), lends a glowy, sunlit effect to photos-- a little bit hazy like a vintage photo, but without washed-out colors. As for a friendly user interface, Picnik also displays the cutest messages while loading: warming breeze, fluffing clouds, coloring flowers, growing grass...
Although it may not be very professional, I highly recommend this application for any basic photo editing endeavors.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw jennie! these are so pretty :)
    i used to go ladybug hunting. the yellow ones were special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey jennie! yea when i was at challenger i used to catch ladybugs with my friends and put them in little transparent plastic containers...and then later catch aphids to feed them.
    i was a weird kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennie- Well done on the photography front, I expect to see you take out the Journalism cameras out more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures are beautiful, and I love ladybugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aw ladybugs are cool!
    and so are your photos :)

    ReplyDelete